Rebecca Smith, PhD
Associate Professor of Sociology
Science and Humanities Faculty
BiographyRebecca Smith is an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences in Lancaster, PA. She enjoys teaching students to see sociologically, and helping them increase their awareness and understanding of the social and cultural diversity of the clients they will serve in their professional lives.
Her research focuses on Latino migration to new immigrant destinations and highlights how gender, ethnicity, and social class shape this experience. Her work has been published in Ethnic and Racial Studies, Sociological Viewpoints, and Sociological Spectrum.
She resides in Lancaster with her partner and two children. Her hobbies include playing tennis, camping, and traveling to Spanish-speaking countries. She is the co-leader of a campus event called Charlas, in which faculty, staff, and students meet weekly to speak Spanish.
- Online Learning Consortium/Sloan C Foundations Course & Workshops, 2013-2014
- CMP-150 Digital Foundations Seminar
- CSS-101 College Studies Seminar
- SOC-100 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC-200 Cultural Diversity
- SOC-300 Social Problems
- Doctor of Philosophy: Sociology, Utah State University, Logan, UT, 2010
- Master of Science: Sociology, Utah State University, Logan, UT, 2006
- Master of Arts: Foreign Languages and Literatures-Spanish, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 2003
- Bachelor of Arts (Summa Cum Laude): Modern Foreign Languages and Literature, Frostburg State University, Frostburg, MD, 1998
- Associate of Science (Magna Cum Laude): General Studies, Allegany Community College, Cumberland, MD, 1996
- Board Member, Hands-on House Children's Museum of Lancaster
850 Greenfield Rd
Lancaster, PA 17601 US
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed individuals can change the world. In fact, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead