Joseph W. York, PhD, MBA
Professor and Program Director Graduate Health Sciences
BiographyMy name is Joe York and I am the Program Director for Graduate Health Sciences at PA College. I joined the College in July 2014 as Dean of Graduate Education to develop and launch the masters’ programs (MHA, MSN, MSHS). Prior to joining PA College, I was national dean for health sciences for DeVry University and before that held various dean and director positions at three medical schools (University of Illinois, University of Washington, and University of Southern California). In a former life I was a hospital administrator. My educational background includes a doctorate in public policy analysis from the University of Illinois and an MBA in Finance from University of Chicago. Undergrad and a master, both in biology, round out my education.
While I am originally from Chicago my wife and I lived in Seattle for almost 10 years where we both worked at the University of Washington (and I later worked remotely for DeVry). We now live in Lancaster. We have a grown son who lives in Florida and works as a budget analyst for Nemours Children's Health System. On the weekends he is a sergeant with the Florida Air National Guard.
- HCA-200 Prin of Health Care Admin
- HCA-301 Health Care Marketing
- xNHA-602 Strategic Planning
- NHA-611 Health Care Human Res Mgmt
- NHA-620 Administrative Internship
- IPC-500 Intro to Graduate Studies
- IPC-512 Health Care Policy and Finance
- IPC-601 Leadership in Healthcare
- IPC-655 Integrating Experience II
- PhD Public Policy Analysis University of Illinois at Chicago 2001
- MBA University of Chicago 1982
- MS Biological Sciences University of Illinois at Chicago 1975
- BS Biological Sciences University of Illinois at Chicago 1972
- Member American College of Healthcare Executives
- County of Los Angeles Official Mayoral Commendation for development of computer-based patient handoff system at Los Angeles County Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2011.
- Best Research Poster, Western Regional Group on Educational Affairs of the Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Conference, Asilomar, CA, 2008.
- Sloan Foundation Outstanding Asynchronous Learning Network Program of the Year for the UIC Online GME Core Curriculum, 2002.
- Invited Review in Medical Education, Society of Directors for Research in Medical Education, 2001.
850 Greenfield Rd
Lancaster, PA 17601 US
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra