Surgical Technology Academic Certificate
Work in an intense environment as a vital part of a lifesaving surgical team. Surgical technologists assist members of the health care team before, during and after surgical procedures.
Surgical technologists assist surgical teams throughout every step of an operation. In the surgical technology program at PA College, you’ll learn alongside certified technologists with years of operating room experience to hone your skills for this high-intensity career.
In the surgical technology program, you’ll train in a wide variety of surgical specialties. This program exposes students to a wide variety of surgical specialties in the acute care setting that may include:
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Genitourologic surgery
- General surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Peripheral vascular surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
You’ll learn alongside certified technologists with years of operating room experience. Upon graduation, you’ll have performed at least 120 surgical procedures in real-life settings. This exposure prepares students to take the certification exam that will allow them to begin their career as a certified surgical technologist.
Will I be successful?
At the completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Function as a competent entry-level surgical technologist in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Apply principles of liberal arts and sciences to the care of the perioperative client.
- Prepare the intraoperative environment with attention to quality and cost effectiveness.
- Respect the ethical, legal, moral and cultural issues that impact the care of the perioperative client.
- Formulate a plan for personal and professional growth.
Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong knowledge and skill enhancement.
- Utilize effective communication skills and interactions with patients, members of the surgical team and other health care practitioners.
- Function as an integral member of the surgical team by performing perioperative technical skills in a safe, efficient and cost-effective manner.
Use the horizontal scroll bar below the table to view the full chart. The following data encapsulates both Certificate and Associate level degrees.
|Year||Graduation||Certification Examination||Job Placement Rate||Continuing Education|
|Initial Enrollment||Graduated||Rate||Number Who Took Exam||Exam Participation Rate||Number Passed||Pass Rate||Graduates||Jobs within 6 months||Rate||Graduates||Continuing Formal Ed.||Rate|
Applicants for the surgical technology certificate must meet general admission requirements.
PA College cannot guarantee clinical rotations for students who have not received the COVID-19 vaccine.
|BIO 175||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||4|
|CSS 101||College Studies Seminar||3|
|HSC 100||Medical Terminology||1|
|SUR 100||Perioperative Services||2|
|SUR 102||Perioperative Pharmacology||2|
|SUR 103||Surgical Armamentarium||2|
|SUR 104||Perioperative Lab||2|
|Summer Semester I||Credits|
|SUR 110||Intraoperative Patient Care||4|
|SUR 111||Intraoperative Lab||1|
|BIO 176||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||4|
|HSC 101||Methods of Patient Care||1|
|SUR 202||Surgical Services Clinical I||3|
|SUR 230||Surgical Procedures and Pathophysiology I||4|
|PHI 210||Ethical and Legal Dimensions in the Health Sciences||1|
|SUR 211||Surgical Services Clinical II||4|
|SUR 212||Professionalism in Surgical Technology||1|
|SUR 240||Surgical Procedures and Pathophysiology II||4|
|SUR 299||Certification Exam Review||1|
|Summer Semester I||Credits|
|SUR 221||Surgical Services Clinical III||3|
|Total Combined Credits||50|
Our surgical technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. See more accreditation information.
Meet Your Faculty
Lauren M. Haldeman, BA, CST
Clinical Coordinator of Surgical TechnologyView Bio