Throughout the past century, PA College has grown from one nursing program with a handful of students to more than two dozen degree options with nearly 1,900 students enrolled.
The PA College Timeline
|1893||Lancaster General Hospital was founded “for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a hospital for the treatment and care of the sick and suffering, and the training of nurses to be employed in such care.”|
|1903||Lancaster General Hospital established its School of Nursing, which offered a three-year training program.|
|1952||The hospital developed a medical laboratory science, its first allied health program. It continued to add programs throughout the following decades.|
|1974||The school graduated its first male nurse.|
|1995||The nursing and health sciences programs merged to form the Lancaster Institute for Health Education.|
|2001||The Pennsylvania Department of Education granted the Institute the ability to confer degrees. The Institute became the Lancaster General College of Nursing & Health Sciences.|
|2006||The College received accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.|
|2008||The college became Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences. It also introduced several baccalaureate degrees, including a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and an RN to BSN option.|
|2015||PA College began offering graduate-level courses for four master’s degree programs.|
|2016||The college moved from the Lancaster General Hospital campus to its location on |
Greenfield Road in Lancaster.